Home » About » Departments » Admissions » Advising » Common Academic Terms

Quincy Office Location:
Presidents Place, Room 412

Quincy Mailing Address:
Quincy College
ATTN: Academic Advising
Presidents Place
1250 Hancock St.
Quincy Center, MA 02169

Phone: (617) 984-1670
Fax: (617) 984-1794

Plymouth Office Location:
Plymouth Campus Front Desk

Plymouth Mailing Address:
Quincy College
36 Cordage Park Circle, Suite 228
Plymouth, MA 02360

Phone (Plymouth Campus):
(508) 747-0400
Fax (Plymouth Campus):
(508) 747-8169

Monday-Thursday: 8:00am-6:30pm
Friday: 9:00am-4:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: Closed

John Foley
Advising Associate
(617) 984-1747
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Louis Gangi
Advising/Testing Specialist
(617) 984-1668
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Eshwar Shanker
Advising Associate
(617) 984-1785
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Sandra Dorval
Advising Agent
(617) 984-1710
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

MaryAnne Grady
Associate Director of Academic Advising, Plymouth campus
(617) 984-1732
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Common Academic Terms

Degree Audit - a worksheet outlining all course requirements for your degree or certificate program

Portal - an online system where students access grades, register for courses, view degree audit sheet, add/drop courses, access college e-mail, view important messages from instructors or the institution.

Academic Probation - warning status students receive when they fail to meet academic progress standards.

Associate's Degree - an associate's degree is a diploma granted by a community college, usually after a student earns at least 62 academic credits. Students who earn associate's degrees need at least two academic years to earn all the academic credits they need for their degree. For this reason, an associate's degree is also referred to as a "two-year degree," and a community college is sometimes referred to as a two-year college. In spite of the “two year degree” label a majority of students take longer than two years to complete an Associate’s Degree.

Certificate - a certificate is a diploma granted by the community college for fewer credits than a degree. A certificate program is the collective term for all the courses and other requirements you fulfill in order to earn a certificate in an academic or technical area. Your certificate program is the area in which you earn your certificate, for example Criminal Justice. At Quincy College, certificate programs are from 16 to 31 credits.

Core Curriculum - This is a group of courses that provides you with basic knowledge across all of the academic disciplines (English, math, science, etc.) at Quincy College. All degree-seeking students are required to complete the Core Curriculum.

Registration - When you select, schedule, enroll in courses for the next semester, you register. In order to register you refer to the schedule for the semester and you consult an advisor. After determining which courses to take, you present proof of payment and have your name and courses entered into the Quincy College computer system. By registering, you make an official commitment to take the courses you have selected.

Must Pay - Quincy College requires all students have funding available at time of registration. This means your financial aid must awarded or you must be able to pay out of pocket.

Syllabus - A written description of the contents and requirements of a course is a syllabus. The syllabus contains the dates of the classes, the assignments, quizzes, exams, research, projects, and other work scheduled for a course in one semester. The instructor for the course gives the students a syllabus at the beginning of the course.

Developmental Courses - Courses that provide students with the fundamentals in a certain academic area in order to prepare them for college-level courses are developmental courses. For example, "ENG 090: Basic Comp" provides students with the fundamental writing skills they need in order to prepare them for the demands of college-level English courses.
Students take a College Placement Test shortly after being admitted to the College in order to determine whether they need to take developmental courses. If they score below a certain level on the assessment, they must take developmental courses.

There is institutional credit, not academic credit, for developmental courses. Quincy College offers developmental courses in English and math.
Format adopted from Northeastern University Center’s for Academic Success and NACADA